Delve into our winter issue of Forward magazine, complete with enough sparkle to see you through the festive season.
The jobs we choose in life go some way to define who we are. They can be a huge part of our lives and help create satisfaction, financial stability and communities of people around us. So how does that change following a spinal cord injury? In this issue we hear from five amazing people who have dedicated themselves to continuing their career paths post-injury. We learn how they adapted their careers to fit into their new way of life and how you can get help to do the same.
Christmas is a special time and for us here at SIA, The Big Give Christmas Challenge makes it even more special. During this festive fundraising challenge your donations get doubled by the UK-wide match funding offer, meaning your money stretches even further to help rebuild lives after SCI. Be quick! The challenge takes place between Tuesday, 29 November and Tuesday 6 December. See pages 24-25 of Forward magazine to get involved.
And following on from Stop the Pressure Day back in November, we talk to three people who share their stories and offer invaluable advice on how to avoid ulcers and the impact they have on your day-to-day life.
Also in this issue:
- Random Acts of Kindness Day: the science behind kindness and how to get involved
- Under the sea: meet two SCI scuba divers who have had successful underwater careers and broken scuba world records post-injury
- Joy Sinclair shares how to pace yourself over the Christmas period, avoiding social and festive burnout
- The cost-of-living crisis: help and support for SIA members – find out what help you could be entitled to
- How the catheter is getting a redesign after 85 years
- Wheelchair self-defence: meet the man behind teaching self-defence to wheelchair users
- Winter warmth with the 2 SCI chefs – check out cosy food and drink to warm the cockles of your heart!
- Our SCI nutrition expert reveals how to sensibly manage your weight over the festive season
- The latest in SCI research and campaigns
Wishing you all a warm and cosy winter, a wonderful festive season and a very happy 2023!
And as always, get in touch with us to share story ideas or just to let us know what you think of the magazine, by emailing us at [email protected]
Click below if you don’t already subscribe to Forward and would like to do so.