Happy summer! Hope you’ve packed away the winter coats (finally!) and are looking forward to long evenings, sunny skies and barbecues as much as we are. Our summer issue of Forward is here and packed full of real-life stories, the latest news, advice and inspiration from across our community.
Classic car repair, woodturning and golf! All very different hobbies you’ve told us about – all good for the soul! In this issue we’ve loved hearing about your hobbies and how you’ve adapted or found new ones since your injuries and what these have meant to you.
What happens if your disability is not a visible one? You asked for more stories about people with incomplete injuries who can walk after SCI. Our feature ‘But You Don’t Look Disabled’ tells Ted and Bizzie’s stories and the kinds of issues they’ve come up against since their injuries.
It’s Disability Pride month in July and SIA trustee Mark Henderson has written an exclusive article charting the rise of the disability rights movement and about the two late activists – Judy Heumann and our very own Baroness Susan Masham – who played such pivotal roles in helping change the landscape for disabled people. As he tells us, there is always more to do!
Also in this issue:
- A tribute to our founder Baroness Susan Masham of Ilton
- SIA’s involvement in creating an NHS pathway for the diagnosis of cauda equina syndrome (CES)
- Spotlight on transverse myelitis (TM) and how it’s impacted the lives of two young people
- Seven marathons, seven days, seven continents! SCI adventurer Darren Edwards shares his incredible story
- En garde! Wheelchair fencer Vivien Mills tells us how the sport restored her self-esteem
- ‘You can’t drive/have sex/travel after SCI!’ Oh yes you can! Our support coordinator Jack Mannings helps bust some myths around what you can’t do after injury
- The latest in SCI news, research, fundraising and campaigns
- Meet our new mental health columnist Ruth F Hunt who explores mental health and incomplete injuries
- How should carers take care of themselves as they get older? Our ageing expert Joy Sinclair offers advice
- The latest on SIA’s bowel care campaign #SeriousSh1t
Enjoy the summer sunshine! Please get in touch to share story ideas or just to let us know what you think of the magazine, by emailing us at [email protected]
If you don’t already receive regular copies of FORWARD by post or email, visit our shop to subscribe.