Rebuilding Lives Awards - shortlist announced
The Spinal Injuries Association (SIA) Rebuilding Lives Awards recognise the outstanding achievements of individuals and groups in the spinal cord injured (SCI) community, who inspire others through their work or hobbies or during their rehabilitation. We received over 110 nominations for this year’s awards and the shortlisted nominees for each category are listed below in alphabetical order.
Shortlisted nominees will attend the awards ceremony on Thursday 11 July 2019 at the Williams Conference Centre.
- SIA Volunteer of the Year Award
This award is presented to a volunteer who has been instrumental in supporting the work of the charity. The nomination could be for one of our office, event or service volunteers who has made a significant difference to any area of the charity’s work in the last year. The nominee must have volunteered for SIA during 2018.
- Derry Felton
- Joy Sinclair
- Will Pike
- SIA Fundraiser of the Year Award
This award is presented to recognise the importance of voluntary fundraising or other similar support. It recognises those who make voluntary contributions of money and/or other resources towards the services that are vital to SIA. The nominee must have fundraised for SIA during 2018.
- Ben Tansley
- Lorraine Evans
- Suzanne Sharp
- The Peter O’Sullevan Award for Healthcare Professionals
This award is presented to an experienced outstanding healthcare professional who has gone above and beyond the usual expectations of their job role and has made a significant difference to SCI people and the SCI community. This award is dedicated to the late Sir Peter O’Sullevan OBE, the well-known horse racing commentator, whose charitable trust is supporting our SCI Nurse Specialist service.
- Claire Lynch
- Sarah Carr
- Sree Kholli
- Rising Star Medal
This medal is presented to a young health professional from each of the 11 SCI Centres across the country. The nomination should be for someone who has gone above and beyond in his or her role.
- Dean Marsden (Princess Royal Spinal Injuries Centre)
- Debbie Williams (The Yorkshire Regional Spinal Centre)
- Hannah Richards (Midland Centre for Spinal Injuries)
- Lorwi Davies (Welsh Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Centre)
- Lucy Robinson (National Spinal Injuries Centre)
- Outstanding Team Award sponsored by Irwin Mitchell
This award is presented to a team that has made a significant difference to the care, treatment or lives of SCI people in NHS SCI Centres, District General Hospitals or Rehab Centres.
- Kamal Manak and Cat Goodwin, QMC Hospital Nottingham
- MCSI Oswestry Spinal Injuries Clinical Psychology Team
- NSIC Spinal Outreach Team
- Carer of the Year Award
This award is presented to an outstanding paid or unpaid carer working in the community or care home setting who has made a significant difference to SCI people and the SCI community.
- Mary Helley
- Michael McIntyre
- Shirley Dickerson
- Art, Sports and Recreation Achievement Award sponsored by SIA Healthcare
This award is presented to an individual or team who has provided inspirational contributions through outstanding sporting, arts or recreational achievements, whether during rehabilitation, hobby or profession.
- Dustine West
- Kevin Plowman
- Sophie Carrigill
- Member’s Choice Award sponsored by SIA Case Management
This award is presented to a SCI person who has shown courage, commitment and determination as they rehabilitated and rebuilt their lives after injury. This person will have also inspired others through their positive way of thinking and mind-set.
- These nominations have been opened up to our members to vote. All members of SIA have been contacted with an opportunity to vote for one of the nominated individuals. If you are one of our members and would like to vote but have not received an email with the details of how to vote please email Clare Stacey or call her on 01908 604191.
- Young Person of the Year Award sponsored by Birchall Blackburn
This award is presented to a young SCI person aged 25 and under, who has provided an outstanding level of contribution to the SCI community, and their SCI peers.
- Maisie Graham
- Nathan Maguire
- Kitty Castledine
- Paul Smith Award for Lifetime Achievement sponsored by Hollister
This award is presented in honour of Paul Smith, SIA’s Chief Executive Officer, who passed away in 2014. This nominee must be a SCI individual, who has shown similar levels of commitment and dedication to the SCI community. This person will have also inspired others through their positive way of thinking and mind-set.
- Bob O’Shea
- Jackie Bailey
- Tom Doughty